[Openstack] [neutron]Multiple l3 agents

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:08:39 UTC 2015

First, please avoid accusing "corporate interactions" for causing a lack of
that choose to participate in this community.

Please provide more details because the current information you have
provided isn't enough to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering. What
do you mean by running multiple L3 agents? Are you talking about on the
same host? If so, that's not the recommended way to do them now that you
can have different external networks defined with the physnet mappings in
ML2.

If you do really want to deploy multiple on the same server that way, they
will need different 'host' settings in their ini files. By default the
system's hostname is used which obviously will conflict between two agents
on the same system.

If you are talking about running multiple L3 agents across different hosts,
then it sounds like they are sharing the same 'host' setting and in that
case it would be a good idea to remove that setting and allow it to use the
default of the system hostname (assuming each node has different hostnames).

Also, you shouldn't be setting 'router_id' in l3_agent.ini. That's for
restricting the agent to one router when namespaces aren't enabled.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:26 PM, Akilesh K <akilesh1597 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I did the same. But I've heard of people doing multiple l3 agent
> scenarios with success, Only that we are not getting replies. I am not sure
> If I am being paranoid, but I have a feeling that the community interaction
> these days are going down and corporate interactions are dominating.
>
> Will keep you posted, If I hit anything interesting.
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:56 AM, Rafael Barra <faelrba at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've tried to work with multiple l3_agents in Juno using GRE Tunnels for
>> external networks without sucess. My second external network did not work.
>> Then I gave up and moved to one l3_agent with flat networks for my 2
>> external networks.
>> Now everything works ok.
>>
>> Ps: I left gateway_external_network_id, router_id and
>> external_network_bridge empty in the l3_agent configuration file.

>>> http://www.ajo.es/post/86497974174/using-multiple-external-networks-in-openstack
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've used this method successfully with two external networks, but only
>>> one l3 agent.
>>>
>>> BR,
>>> Xabier

>> --