[Openstack] MySQL IO performance

Narayanan, Krishnaprasad narayana at uni-mainz.de
Mon Jun 29 11:19:45 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I ran tests under the following settings to measure the IO performance of MySQL database. I used Sysbench as the client workload generator. I found that the performance of MySQL (both resource utilization and application) has degraded by more than 50% after switching from setting a) to setting b).

Setting a): Controller & Compute node OS - Ubuntu 12.04, cloud software: OpenStack Havana, networking: nova-network, Hypervisor: KVM, Libvirt version: 1.1.1, QEMU version: 1.5.0, Host disk write cache: enabled, Guest disk cache: none and host OS scheduler: CFQ.
Setting b): Controller & Compute node OS - Ubuntu 14.04, cloud software: OpenStack Icehouse, networking: Neutron, Hypervisor: KVM, Libvirt version: 1.2.2, QEMU version: 2.0.0, Host disk write cache: enabled, Guest disk cache: none and host OS scheduler: CFQ.

May I know has anybody performed such tests and if yes, can you please share details on the IO performance of VMs and the application?

I don't know whether is the right question to ask in this forum. Can somebody share information at a high level about the improvements made in Libvirt (from version 1.1.1 to 1.2.2) for handling IO requests?

Regards,
Krishnaprasad