[Openstack] [vtn-dev] Some doubts about VTN and Openstack - after stack

Silvia Fichera fichera.sil at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:08:46 UTC 2015

Hi Venkay,
I was already following the user-guide.
I've added my comments in line.

Thank you.
Silvia

venkatrangang at hcl.com>:

>  Hi Silvia,
>
>    Please find the responses to your queries inline.
>
>    Please let us know in case of any further queries
>

> Please check for all the sections I the user-guide for openstack:
> https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Release/Helium/VTN/User_Guide/OpenStack_Support
>
> (especially all the tips and  please ensure if all the settings are done
> in your environment)
>

> Regards,
>
> Venkat G

other.

> Assuming you are using Vsphere? Or if any other, they must be connected to
> the same network.

I have several VMs in the same host creted with Esxi. Also the OVS is
inside a VM.

> My questions are:
>

> 1.      The IP address to consider in local.conf is the management IF IP?
>
> <resp>
>
>      Yes, this is correct, because the other ip address will be non
> reachable once OVS is started and the interface is added as port.

[?]

> 2.      Why when I stack the controller node it works also as compute
> host? In fact if I launch an instance it is also located in this node. How
> to make it performs only as controller node?
>
> <resp>
>
>        Please add more RAM and number of CPU’s to the compute hosts so
> that the openstack chooses to create the VM there.
>
>  Ok, I will ask to who has the host access to modify RAM and CPU
>
> 3.      After the creation of an instance that is located in a compute
> host that is not the controller Openstack, this instance has no IP address
> assgned, so I can't ping another instance in the same compute node. Why?
>
> <resp>
>
>      As mentioned above, When opennstack starts OVS switch with openflow
> settings is started in all the nodes
>

>   So, if you check sudo ovs-vsctl show in all the nodes You should ensure
> that br-int got created and the ODL IP address is added as both openflow
> Manager as well as Openflow controller to the switch br-int
>
> The Manager can be identified in the port 6640 and the controller in port
> 6633, so typicall you should see that ODL IP address is listed as both
> Manager and Controller.
>
> br-int has been created and the controller is connected.
>
> If you have the right configuration, You should see three connected
>  openflow switches in dlux GUI. Only if  all these are fine, Is that fine,
> Do you have three switches connected?, or three switches with broken links?
>
> Also, if compute ode OVS versio is higher, you may have the problem where
> you have to install a default flow to forward to controller. So, Please
> check the same.
>

> Please refer:
> https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Release/Helium/VTN/User_Guide/OpenStack_Support#Some_Tips

In dlux GUI I see 9 switch without links. It's included the OVS switch who
is part of the data network.
I still cannot ping the instances creted in Openstack, and, again, except
in the compute node that is also the Controller openstack, there is no ip
address associated when I do ifconfig.

>   Moreover if I check the topology on dlux I can see only the instances
> launched in the controller node. But I think it's a consequence of the
> previous problem.
>
> 4. In the basic configuration of local.conf we also define the range of
> floating IPs. Is possible to do it also in this kind of configuration? If
> not, how to assign floating IP to the instances? The traffic that I will
> generate, will be route through the OVS that is part of the data network,
> right?
>

> <resp>
>
> Yes, You can add that configuration,But  we don’t have the  test results
> with that setting. It should work.
>

> Thank you for your support and clarification. If you need more details
> just ask.
>

> Silvia
>
> --
>
> Silvia Fichera
>

> ::DISCLAIMER::

> E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
> information could be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
> transmission. The e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
> on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
> written consent of authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
> please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses
> and other defects.

Silvia Fichera