[Openstack] [Nova]Live migration question

Eduard Matei eduard.matei at cloudfounders.com
Wed Jun 17 07:57:51 UTC 2015

Hi,

I set up a devstack J (2014.2.4) cluster, to test alternatives to using NFS
for the instances_path (in my case /opt/stack/data/nova/instances), mainly
a storage solution we want to use as distributed file system.
I have a shared storage solution that is configured with cinder, which
contains both the .raw files for the volumes and the .xml files for the
instances.

While testing i found that live migration between nodes works without
having the /instances directory on a shared storage, and that the instance
directory (the UUID/* ) is moving between nodes.

Can anyone provide more info? Is the shared storage required for the
instances_path, or am i misreading the documentation and the shared storage
is required for another path?

Thanks,
Eduard