[Openstack] Insanity check: Kilo-Keystone w/ Juno-everything else

Steve Martinelli stevemar at ca.ibm.com
Thu Jun 11 21:30:50 UTC 2015

Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote on 06/11/2015 05:13:36 PM:

> From: Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com>
> To: David Medberry <openstack at medberry.net>
> Cc: "openstack at lists.openstack.org" <openstack at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 06/11/2015 05:25 PM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] Insanity check: Kilo-Keystone w/
Juno-everything else

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:00 PM, David Medberry
> <openstack at medberry.net> wrote:
> > We have run with (really) Liberty keystone, Liberty horizon and
everything
> > else Juno.
> >
> > I suspect you can do this mixed thing as long as you pay careful
attention.

> Definitely seems like it *should* work as the API *shouldn't* change.
> Glad to hear this actually seems to be the case
>
> > Likewise, when we upgrade our TWO REGIONAL DATACENTERS we always do
one and
> > then the next a couple days later, so all of our upgrades have had a
single
> > KEYSTONE against two different rest-of-the-clouds and that works just
fine.

> > You may find more info on the openstack-operators list (a pretty good
place
> > for this kind of of topic.)
>
> Familiar with the ops list, my (probably misguided) thought for
> posting here was to maybe get dev & ops people.  Though I suppose this
> is becoming more the intro to openstack list in practice.

Your thoughts are not as misguided as you'd believe, I think most devs
subscribe to this list as well.

Echoing David's reply, this should work. The Keystone team tries really
hard to not mangle any APIs, and if we do, we always provide deprecation
warnings in the log files.

Furthermore, the inter-service communication you mention should only
depend on the keystonemiddleware pieces that are used between services.
This hasn't changed in a while.

Thanks,

Steve Martinelli
OpenStack Keystone Core