[Openstack] IBM System Z

Andreas Maier MAIERA at de.ibm.com
Thu Jul 30 16:31:33 UTC 2015

We are working with Michael directly; it turned out he's a colleague.

I still wanted to give everybody on the list an update on the questions:

Regarding the use of OpenStack on Linux on IBM z Systems, and the choice
between different Linux distribution partners: IBM z Systems customers use
both RHEL and SLES, and both distributions can be used to run OpenStack on
z Systems. There are indeed some OpenStack dependencies that are not
included in these distributions. Unless you want to be in the business of
building, testing, distributing and servicing these missing packages for z
Systems, I recommend to go with the following statement from the OpenStack
Wiki (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Get_OpenStack): "The best way to
install OpenStack is to rely on one of the downstream distributions, which
will take care of many of the details for you.". Please contact me if you
have trouble finding an OpenStack distribution that supports z Systems.

In addition, regarding the use of OpenStack with the KVM hypervisor on IBM
z Systems (starting with Kilo), I'd like to point to the second item (KVM
offering for IBM z Systems) on this page:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=877&letternum=ENUSZG15-0001#sodx

Finally, I'd like to point out that there is OpenStack support for the z/VM
hypervisor as well, since several OpenStack releases.

Andy

Andreas Maier
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member, OpenStack for z Systems
IBM Research & Development Laboratory Boeblingen, Germany
maiera at de.ibm.com, +49-7031-16-3654
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen