[Openstack] Cinder volume from vmware sparse vmdk

Brent Troge brenttroge2016 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:40:43 UTC 2015

I have an openstack created instance running within my vmware compute node.

The vmdk boot image I used to create this instance, is stored in glance and
contains the below disk properties:

adapter type =  lsiLogic
disk type = sparse

Now, if I use this image to boot an instance, all works as expected. No
problems.
If I create a volume with this image and try to boot from this volume, the
hypervisor complains that no operating system is found. If I attach the
volume to a running linux instance fdisk reports that no partition table is
found.

So I guess the question is, what step  am I missing when I create a volume
from a sparse vmdk image ?    When I create a volume from a preallocated
image, everything works fine. So some step is missing when using sparse
images to create a working cinder volume.

Thanks!