[Openstack] Adding a volume to existing instance

Ivan Derbenev ivan.derbenev at tech-corps.com
Mon Jul 27 23:35:09 UTC 2015

Hello, guys!
That can be rather simple question for you, but I can't quite understand.
For example, we have 2 hardware machines with Ubuntu+KVM+Kilo
Each machine has 2 TB of local storage
Shared storage on freenas can be used ONLY for images, not for VMs

We created a Debian instance on server1, and now we need to attach a 100gb disk to it. And we want this disk to be created on the same server1. It doesn't really matter what backend we use, lvm\file image\anything else

Well... it's easily ca be done by KVM itself with virsh attach-device. But how can we do this via OpenStack services? Cinder will use iscsi even inside single machine (I don't know whether it will be slower or not) and we can't predict what storage server it will use to create disk.
And I couldn't find any way to do it inside nova.

Regards,
IT engineer
Farheap, Russia
Ivan Derbenev