[Openstack] [designate] Associate dynamically project name as domain

Jaime Fernández jjjaime at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 15:21:28 UTC 2015

I would like to register DNS records with the following format:
<name>.<interface>.<projectName>.<baseDomain>
to avoid collision between IP addresses for the same host but on different
interfaces, and to reserve a domain per project. However, it's not an easy
task.

The notifications received by designate-sink report the tenant-id (but not
project name) apart from other valuable information to register a virtual
machine.

After reading nova (see
https://github.com/openstack/designate/blob/master/designate/notification_handler/nova.py)
and neutron handlers, these handlers register the IP addresses as "managed"
records, associating the resource_id (i.e. host instance_id). It simplifies
the process of removing the records when the host is removed.

I would like to register (via designate-api) a domain per project (or
tenant) using the project name, and to assign the tenant_id when
registering the domain. When a host is created, designate-sink receives a
notification with its tenant_id, and we could search the domain by
tenant_id in order to register the host record. However, I'm afraid that
these "managed" attributes are not available via REST API (only by Python
API).

It would be nice to have the possibility to register or access these
managed attributes via REST API. Otherwise, I don't know how to proceed
with registered hosts. I don't think it's feasible to request for
reinstalling these virtual hosts. I would prefer to register manually, via
designate-api, those hosts that were already registered but with the
"managed" attribute "resource_id" so that when designate-sink receives the
notification about VM destruction, it is capable to unregister the host
entry searching by its resource_id.

Do you have any suggestion about how to proceed to configure a subdomain
for each project?