[Openstack] Spawning Issue with Juno, Neutron, Xen and Libvirt

Anthony PERARD anthony.perard at citrix.com
Fri Jul 24 18:24:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 09:20:13PM -0400, Geoffrey Tran wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> > Ok, let's debug that further. Once the VM have booted, can you check the
> > state of the network interface by running the following command?
> >
> > ip link
> > brctl show
>
> The output is below:
> root at hp3:~# ip link
[...]
> 24: vif2.0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 32
>     link/ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

This interface should be DOWN, since the vif-bridge script is responsible
to configure it and set it UP. And I don't see what could change its state.

Could you run the following command after you tried to start a guest?

$ xenstore-ls /local/domain/0/libxl
disable_udev = "1"

We should at least have disable_udev in the output.

> > Yes, all in one. I've enable those neutron services via devstack:
> > q-agt q-dhcp q-lbaas q-meta q-metering q-svc q-vpn q-l3 q-fwaas
>
> Okay thanks for verifying.  I should note that in this system, I
> deployed openstack module by module instead of devstack, as per:
> http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/apt/content/

I've tried to follow the guide, and install OpenStack on Ubuntu 14.04 but I
can not reproduce this. I've stop after installing neutron, and try to
start a guest. I may have miss something.

Otherwise, to work arround this bug we could modify the script to set down
the interface before trying to rename it:
In /etc/xen/scripts/vif-common.sh, search the function rename_vif() and add
in the begining this:
  ip link set "$dev" down
And don't forget to remove the "exit 0" in /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge that
we've added earlier.

--
Anthony PERARD