[Openstack] VM's using "local storage"?

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at rivendellnh.com
Sun Jul 19 12:33:41 UTC 2015

I have a Kilo install w/the base components:  Keystone, Nova, Neutron,
Glance and Cinder.  Cinder is running on a seperate host from the Nova
compute servers using the LVM plugin.  I have about 12 vm's started and
I noticed that on the System summary page its showing local storage in
use, roughly equivalent to the sizes of the volumes summed up.  I popped
on the compute servers and storage there is as expected. Lots of space
free and nothing that related to this local storage requirement.

Do I have some simple misconfiguration?  I do have a large NFS server
available and I was thinking maybe this is related in some way to how
nova looks at the volumes. That perhaps it wants to reserve local
storage to back the volumes.  If so I could use the NFS space to solve
this and maybe get the ability to moved VM's as well?  Its clear from
doing some analysis that the actual storage is on the storage box w/LVM
because I can see the iSCSI tgt processes and disk I/O occurring.   Any
suggestions on what to look at is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Mike Dickson
mike.dickson at genomoncology.com