[Openstack] [Neutron][SRIOV][docs] Enabling SRIOV on OpenStack Juno step-by-step guide

Sam Stoelinga sammiestoel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 07:36:52 UTC 2015

I think it was not fair to say it's not up to date. It seems it's up to
date, but current downsides of existing OpenStack wikis on SRIOV are
missing info, many different Wikis and hard to consume the info:
1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SR-IOV-Passthrough-For-Networking
2. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova-neutron-sriov
3. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PCI_passthrough_SRIOV_support
4. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Pci_passthrough

Things that I noticed that were missing / could be better:
1. Adding PCIDeviceFilter to nova-scheduler
2. How to enable VFs on compute nodes
3. This wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova-neutron-sriov contains
incorrect information.
Current wrong: "neutron port-create <net-uuid-from-step-1> --name
sriov_port *--vnic-type direct* "
should be "neutron port-create <net-uuid-from-step-1> --name
sriov_port* --binding:vnic_type
direc*t"
4. Make it more clear that agent_required = False is totally fine and may
be better. From what I read you have to disable the firewall functionality
if you enable sriov-agent? Not sure if that understanding is correct.

I would prefer this information to have release bound documentation in for
example the Networking Guide: http://docs.openstack.org/networking-guide/
or the Cloud Administrator Guide:
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/

I believe that using the pci sys interface is vendor compatible. Would be
great if you could confirm. Could you try testing $ echo '7' >
/sys/class/net/eth3/device/sriov_numvfs on a mellanox card?
This way we don't have to write vendor specific docs on enabling VFs :)
When using modprobe ixgbe max_vfs=7 it tells you that using max_vfs is
deprecated and that the pci sys interface should be used. That's how I
found out about this.