[Openstack] Openstack operating system pro cons

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Jul 17 18:35:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Erdősi Péter <fazy at niif.hu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are start to build our production cloud in this year, but we need to make
> a big decision:
> Which OS should we use for the nodes on the system?
>
> The truth is, we cannot decide beetwen Ubuntu and CentOS. The Ubuntu is
> widely used in our company, but there are no supported drivers (or anything
> else) for it.

Ubuntu is by far the most widely deployed operating system for OpenStack
55% of production Clouds -vs- 29% for 2nd place CentOS:
http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-users-share-how-their-deployments-stack-up

29% is still substantial so if you choose CentOS you'd probably have a
good experience if you're familiar with it (or so I expect I'm not
familiar with it & run Ubuntu), but I don't understand what you mean
by Ubuntu being unsupported?

-Jon