[Openstack] [OpenStack] [Disaster Recovery] How can you do it?

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Mon Jul 6 19:33:07 UTC 2015

As David mentioned, there is a spectrum of possible solutions for disaster
recovery.  The solution, as always, depends on the requirements.  In
disaster recovery, those requirements are expressed as:
1. RPO - Recovery Point Objective - "If a disaster strikes, how far back
will it set me?"
2. RTO - Recovery Time Objective - "If a disaster strikes, how long until
my workload is up and running?"

The answers to both are independent and can range from "Not at all" to
minutes or hours or days.

A solution with high RPO and RTO is backup.  Once in a while transfer your
images, snapshots of your VMs and volumes, and your SQL DB to another
site.  If disaster strikes you can manually run your workloads from the
last backup, and you have your metadata backed up too (keystone
users/tenants, nova flavors, etc.).

A solution with lower RPO and RTO is replication.  Work is being done in
Cinder to enable continuous volume replication between storage backends.
You can put your Glance images in multiple locations or in multi-site
Swift, and replicate your DB as well.  Ideally you will be able to get to
some consistent state between your data and metadata, which is not easy.
For failover, you can use Heat or some other orchestration tool.

There are solutions with zero RPO and RTO, where workloads run
active/active in multiple sites.  There are also other solutions in the
spectrum.

In short, the building blocks are starting to appear, but a full solution
is not yet available.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM, David Medberry <openstack at medberry.net>
wrote:

> Yes.
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/snapshots.html
> API Image Create detailed here:
>
> Nova:
> http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2.1.html
> It is a snapshot of the instance's image (not of the instance's in memory
> state).
>
> Cinder:
> http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-blockstorage-v2.html
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nova+image+create+api
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cinder+snapshot+api
>

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Giuseppe Galeota <
> giuseppegaleota at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you David,all,
>>
>> I would like to know if are there Nova/Cinder Rest APIs to execute
>> VM/volume snapshot?
>>
>> Thank you all,
>> Giuseppe

>>> Giuseppe,
>>>
>>> A great deal of Disaster Recovery planning relies on you / your
>>> organization to define what they mean by DR planning. Yes, Nova snaps
>>> (instance snaps) and Cinder snaps (volume snaps) can be used in DR.
>>> Additionally, depending on your architecture you can utilize Swift (if it
>>> is geo distributed, it gives you some measure of DR resilience.)
>>>
>>> I'm not aware of a howto or manual on this topic though as it varies so
>>> much based on arch and definition it's not effective to make a generalized
>>> recommendation.

*Avishay Traeger*
*Storage R&D*

Mobile: +972 54 447 1475