[Openstack] [All] Summit Session Proposal Voting

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jan 28 14:54:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Maish Saidel-Keesing <
maishsk+openstack at maishsk.com> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> CFP is upon us, and thereafter will be a period of voting for the
> sessions.

What is the purpose of the voting period? Is it for the Foundation to
> gauge what sessions are more popular?

Yes, it's for track chairs to gauge popularity and interest in topics.

> How is this measured?

In the past, track chairs get a spreadsheet with vote counts at the end of
the voting period.

> What weight does the popularity have in deciding if a session is
> accepted or not?

It's balanced by the track chairs and they have some flexibility. For
example, if something doesn't quite fit in their track but is popular by
votes, they may swap with another track. Also sometimes it's obvious to a
chair that the ballot has been stuffed, so popularity alone is not a
deciding factor.

> And most importantly - are the results of the voting process publicly
> available - if so - where?
> And if not - then why not?

The topic of transparency in voting has come up in the past, this thread
may help you understand the various discussions we've had:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/community/2014-February/000718.html

I personally dislike the self-promotion phase but the more years I see it
in use, the more I appreciate that rotating the track chairs and giving
them some space to make tough decisions (and believe me, it's tough) is the
best way to balance community input with content selection. So the "why
not?" is best answered by participating long enough to see that we have a
balance to maintain between community input and getting great, relevant
content delivered by people who know their stuff.

Hope this helps.
Anne