[Openstack] multiple cinder backend with emc vnx and NFS backend

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sun Jan 18 22:44:12 UTC 2015

On Jan 16, 2015 9:03 PM, "mad Engineer" <themadengin33r at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>               i am working on integrating VNX with cinder,i have plan
> to add another NFS storage in the future,without removing VNX.
>
> Can i add another backend while first backend is running without
> causing problem to running volumes.
> I heard that multiple backend is supported,
>
> thanks for any help

So as long as you used the "enabled backend" format in your existing config
you "should" be able to just add another backend without impacting your
existing setup (I've never tried this with NFS/VNX myself though).

If you're not using the enabled backends directive you can deploy a new
cinder - volume node and just add your new driver that way.

Otherwise you can move to multibackend but you will need to update the
hosts column on your existing volumes.