[Openstack] some newbie questions about networking

Pedro Serotto pedro.serotto at yahoo.es
Sat Jan 10 16:04:41 UTC 2015

Dear all.
Let me premise that I'mwilling to avoid using Layer 3 services (i.e routing, LBaaS, VPNaaSand FWaaS): what I would like to obtain is that all the traffic toand from my VM will arrive directly to the compute nodes.
Hereafter my questions:

-In a configuration with Nova Network and VlanManager, can I share thesame interface (two nic 10Giga aggregate bond) by segmenting withvlan the traffic caming for network storage, network management andexternal networks and add, if necessary, other vlans for eachtenant?

- Can I achieve the same configuration as the previouspoint with neutron, for example with ml2, OVS or linux bridge andvlan?

- With neutron, is it always necessary that all trafficpasses through a network node?

- To use GRE or VXLAN do Ialways need to use a network node or is it possible to terminate thetunnels on any device able to speak GRE or VXLAN?
Thank you
Pedro