[Openstack] [Swift] Delete handling with md5 collisions

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at maginatics.com
Wed Aug 26 20:37:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a question about how object deletes are handled with md5
collisions. I looked at the code and here's my understanding of how
things will work.

If I have two objects that have the same md5 hash, they will go to the
same hash directory. Say, they go to
/srv/node/r1/object/1024/eef/deadbeef/t1.data and
/srv/node/r1/object/1024/eef/deadbeef/t2.data.

Now, if I delete object t1, Swift will created a new file called t3.ts
and put it in the hash directory.
/srv/node/r1/object/1024/eef/deadbeef/t3.ts.

When the replicator runs, it will delete all files with timestamp less
than t3. So will it delete both t1 and t2?

Thanks in advance.
-Shri