[Openstack] configure SSL on glance, nova and neutron API

Antonio Messina antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 11:38:35 UTC 2015

Hi Yang,

There are different ways of doing this:

1) configure nova/glance/neutron/cinder to "speak" SSL, this should be
covered by the official documentation
2) run nova/glance/neutron/cinder as wsgi application behind apache,
and let apache "speak" SSL
3) run nova/glance/neutron/cinder behind a load-balancer which is also
doing SSL termination.

We chose option 3), but there are a few issues. Specifically, nova,
glance and cinder will always reply with the wrong url schema (http
instead of https), regardless of what you put on the endpoint.

For nova, there is a patch not yet merged in kilo:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1384379

For glance and cinder, we solved adding a "middleware" in the wsgi
pipeline, responsible for converting "http" to "https" whenever it's
needed

Some useful links:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1384379
https://gist.github.com/invsblduck/55923d81b175ba4168c1