[Openstack] [glance] VMWare vCenter glance and thin provisioning

Manuel Felipe manuelfelipe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:08:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm still trying to figure out if thin provisioning is actually
supported or not when using OpenStack (Juno or Kilo, tried both) and
the VMWare drivers pointing to vCenter. All my attempts of creating a
Glance image end up with a new VM (functional) but with a Tick
provisioned lazy zeroed instead of thin which is what i'm trying to
get.

A summary of what I'm doing:

$ wget https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/trusty/current/trusty-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img
$ qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O vmdk
trusty-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img trusty-server.vmdk

My first attempt just after the qemu convertion:

glance image-create --name trusty-server-amd64-converted --progress
--is-public True \
--container-format bare --disk-format vmdk --property hypervisor_type="vmware" \
--property vmware_disktype="thin" --property vmware_adaptertype="lsiLogic" \
--property vmware_linked_clone="true" < trusty-server.vmdk

Creating a new instance with Nova works fine, but I get the thick
provisioned drive.

Tried Also converting the (already converted) vmdk using vmkfstoolsas
suggested in https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide
(https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaV...)

vmkfstools -i trusty-server.vmdk converted.vmdk
# copied again the converted-flat.vmdk back to my client
glance image-create --name trusty-server-amd64-converted --progress
--is-public True \
--container-format bare --disk-format vmdk --property hypervisor_type="vmware" \
--property vmware_disktype="thin" --property vmware_adaptertype="lsiLogic" \
--property vmware_linked_clone="true" < converted-flat.vmdk

Tried again creating the instance, but still getting the same result.

Don't know what I'm missing here.

Does someone actually have this working with thin provisioned
instances ? or the only functional option for now is tick provisioning
?

Thanks for your help

-
Manuel