[Openstack] [neutron] questions about IPv6 playing nice together with IPv4

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 1 04:03:15 UTC 2015

Can Neutron do NAT between IPv4 and IPv6?  For example, if there is a
Neutron router between an external network having only IPv6 subnets and a
tenant network having only IPv4 subnets, can there be a floating IP
address in v6 bound to a private IP address in v4?

If I have a tenant network with both IPv6 and IPv4 subnets and I attach
that network to a router, does the router get both a v4 and a v6 address
in the tenant network?

If I have an external network with both IPv6 and IPv4 subnets and I set
that network to be the gateway network for a router, does that router get
both a v4 and a v6 address in the external network?

A router can have only one gateway network, right?

If I have a dual stack Compute Instance, and a tenant network with both
IPv4 and IPv6 subnets, I can give that Compute Instance just one network
connection and the Compute Instance will be able to have both IPv4 and
IPv6 addresses on that network, right?

Thanks,
Mike