[Openstack] [Nova] How does/will Openstack handle instance replicas?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Sat Sep 27 04:31:38 UTC 2014

On 09/26/2014 09:30 PM, Adam Lawson wrote:

> It's good when instances can come and go as needed, but in a production
> context, a failed compute host shouldn't take down every instance hosted
> on it. Otherwise there is no real abstraction going on and the cloud
> loses immense value.

A failed compute host *will* take down every instance hosted on it.

There are mechanisms which can detect the loss of the instances and
automatically evacuate them to new hosts.  Alternately, they can be
deleted and rebuilt (which is what Heat does, I think).  But this is not
"failover" in the enterprise sense.

That said, there's nothing preventing someone from implementing
auto-failover for instances in the cloud, it just means that they need
to do it themselves rather than relying on the cloud infrastructure to
do it for them.

Chris