[Openstack] [Nova] How does/will Openstack handle instance replicas?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Sep 26 23:07:02 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Adam Lawson's message of 2014-09-26 14:43:40 -0700:
> Hello fellow stackers.
>
> I'm looking for discussions/plans re VM continuity.
>
> I.e. Protection for instances using ephemeral storage against host failures
> or auto-failover capability for instances on hosts where the host suffers
> from an attitude problem?
>
> I know fail-overs are supported and I'm quite certain auto-fail-overs are
> possible in the event of a host failure (hosting instances not using shared
> storage). I just can't find where this has been addressed/discussed.
>
> Someone help a brother out? ; )

I'm sure some of that is possible, but it's a cloud, so why not do things
the cloud way?

Spin up redundant bits in disparate availability zones. Replicate only
what must be replicated. Use volumes for DR only when replication would
be too expensive.

Instances are cattle, not pets. Keep them alive just long enough to make
your profit.