[Openstack] [HEAT] Autoscaling OpenShift in OpenStack

Michaël Van de Borne michael.vandeborne at cetic.be
Fri Sep 26 16:49:56 UTC 2014

Hi there,

Here at CETIC, we saw a lot of questions on the web and the mailing
lists about scaling policies in Heat. The same answers appeared
everytime: "go look at the wordpress example".
We decided to demonstrate how to scale resources with complicated heat
stacks, the use case being OpenShift Origin. There are multiple
interests here:

  * Scaling policies that apply not only to Nova instances, but also to
    floating ips, ports, wait conditions, ...
  * Scaling policies based on various metrics: OpenShift node instance
    would scale up based on
      o CPU usage
      o number of gears usage
      o or both criteria in the same stack
  * Custom probe into the node instance to send to Ceilometer the number
    of OpenShift gears used
  * On the fly creation of neutron router, network, subnet, floating ip,
    port, ...
  * The use of a multi-file heat stack
  * The use of the HOT format (which I find more readable than AWS
    CloudFormation format)

This led to a complete and complicated stack. So we really hope this
could be helpful for people who, like us, feel Heat is an incredible
tool, but are missing examples.
Here it is:
https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/tree/master/openshift-origin/F19/hot-template

Moreover, we noticed the graphical wobbly architecture tool from Horizon
wasn't handy at all when displaying the stack architecture, because
almost all the icons were pretty much the same. We then added new icons
in order to get a better understanding of stack architectures. This
<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/110888/> still needs to be merged.

Would you have any question, don't hesitate to drop me an email, a skype
message, a crow, ...
My best and hot wishes :)

--
Michaël Van de Borne