[Openstack] is anyone using zeromq for RPC?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Sep 10 21:13:32 UTC 2014

On Sep 10, 2014, at 7:27 AM, Li Ma <skywalker.nick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014/9/8 23:11, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> I would love to try to get them done step by step.
>> And I would be happy to have your help doing that! Do you or your team have resources to contribute?
>
> I'm from Awcloud, an IaaS provider in China. We built our OpenStack clouds based on ZeroMQ in multiple DCs during this year.
>
> As I stated in the last thread, we've contributed several patches. The last one to make it work is reworked now.
>
> AFAIK, ZeroMQ is non-AMQP low-level communication method, so there are some gaps which cannot be ignored, how it works, how the nodes communicate with each other via ZeroMQ driver, how to make it run, how to debug, any tuning methods for production, etc. Actually, it seems that every aspect is totally different from AMQP-based methods, like qpid or rabbitmq. Everything needs to be documented to guide people who are interested in this driver.
>
> I just noticed that dropping ZeroMQ is on the plan:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-oslo-summit-topics

That list is of *proposed* topics to discuss. It is not a final list, yet, since we’re still in the early phases of planning our summit discussions.

> Damnit, I lost previous discussions on this topic. I'm mainly working in other projects in most of the time. Right now, I'm willing to contribute from now on. My colleagues are also available to help.

That’s good to hear, and I hope between your team and Antonio’s maybe we can pull together a small group to own the zeromq driver and make it fully functional.

>> Yes, Josh mentioned that in another message in this thread. It does sound like a potentially useful approach, although given the expectations of oslo.messaging right now I’m not sure how to make it work or if it would actually be easier than updating the current driver. It is definitely worth investigating. Doug
>
> Yes, it's great that someone is working on that way.
>
> ZeroMQ driver test cases are developing.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+bug/1302941
>
> I'm not sure the progress, but I can try to link him and see if we can work together to get it done. Meanwhile, I'll start to investigate other must-do. OK, actually I'm not very clear about the priorities of must-do. So, Doug, what do you think of it?

Here are a few things we need, in no particular order:

- documentation for how to configure and use zeromq with oslo.messaging (note, not the version in oslo-incubator, the version in the messaging library repository)
- a list of the critical bugs that need to be fixed
- any existing patches associated with those bugs, so they can be reviewed early in kilo
- an analysis of what it would take to be able to run functional tests for zeromq on our CI infrastructure, not necessarily the full tempest run or devstack-gate job, probably functional tests we place in the tree with the driver (we will be doing this for all of the drivers)
- besides writing new functional tests, we need to bring the unit tests for zeromq into the oslo.messaging repository

It would also be useful, frankly, to have some idea of whether there is interest beyond the two teams who have reported trying to use it so far. If it’s only interesting to you, we might split the driver out of oslo.messaging and let you maintain it separately. If there is wide interest, I would lean towards keeping it in the tree where it is now.

Doug