[Openstack] [Heat] VolumeAttachement Groups

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 09:34:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 04:19:49PM +0200, Abbass MAROUNI wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it's possible to use a Resource Group in Heat
> templates to create cinder volumes and then another Resource Group to attach
> these volumes to a VM.
> So for a VM with 10 volumes we'll need 3 resources, 1 for the VM another
> (ResourceGroup) for the creation of 10 volumes and a third (ResourceGroup)
> for the attachement of the volumes.

Yes, this is possible, but not quite via the method you describe.

You need to create a number of nested stacks via one ResourceGroup, where
the nested stack contains the volume and volume attachment resources (e.g
the things you want to group), then you create the server and pass the ID
in to all the nested stacks via a property specified in the resource group
definition.

I've just posted an example which shows how this works:

https://review.openstack.org/119015

Steve