[Openstack] How to make DevStack install OpenStack with Neutron?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 7 05:43:41 UTC 2014

Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz> wrote on 10/07/2014 01:16:44
AM:

> On 07/10/14 09:45, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> > Is it possible to use DevStack to install OpenStack, including
Neutron,
> > so that OpenStack can make a VM that can communicate with the world
> > beyond OpenStack?  I am looking for a simple localrc or local.conf
that
> > will do this.
> >
> > Let us take a concrete example.  Suppose I have a machine with one
NIC,
> > at 10.84.133.238/28.  It has a simple routing table: one entry for the
> > local subnet, one default route through a gateway at 10.84.133.225.  I
> > have nothing else on the 10.84.133.238/28 subnet, I can use the other
> > addresses (aside from .224 and .239) for VMs. What do I put in my
> > localrc?  Do I have to fix up anything after stack.sh completes?
> >
> > Once I have a working OpenStack, the remaining questions are about how
> > to use it to create a VM with the desired ability.  That would be as
the
> > demo user, in the demo tenant, right?  I would need a security group
> > that allows the desired communication, of course.  Create the VM on
the
> > private net, give it a floating IP on the public network.  Any tricks
> > missed here?
> >
> > Does it matter whether my machine at 10.84.133.238 is a bare metal
> > machine or a VM in some undercloud?
> >
> > Does it matter whether my machine has multiple ethN interfaces that
have
> > been bonded to make the interface (named bond0) in use?
> >

> For your first attempt you can probably make a simple set of changes to
> local.conf and just run the stack setup:
>
> $ cd devstack
> $ vi local.conf
> $ cat local.conf
> [[local|localrc]]
> ADMIN_PASSWORD=password
> MYSQL_PASSWORD=password
> RABBIT_PASSWORD=password
> SERVICE_PASSWORD=password
> SERVICE_TOKEN=tokentoken
> ENABLED_SERVICES+=,-n-net
> ENABLED_SERVICES+=,-n-obj
> ENABLED_SERVICES+=,q-svc,q-agt,q-dhcp,q-l3,q-meta
> ENABLED_SERVICES+=,-n-novnc,-n-xvnc
> SWIFT_HASH=12go358snjw24501
> LOGFILE=$DEST/logs/stack.sh.log
> VERBOSE=True
> SCREEN_LOGDIR=$DEST/logs/screen
>
> $ ./stack.sh
>

> It creates some demo networks for you and is pretty much good to go out
> the box.

Thanks, Mark.  OK, maybe I should say that I am past my first attempt, and
am on to something a little more ambitious.  Following recipes like yours,
and also ones from Sergey Kraynev, Salvatore Orlando, and Ian Choi, I am
able to get DevStack to create an OpenStack installation with Neutron that
works --- as long as I do not attempt any communication between the
outside world and the VMs that I can create with that OpenStack.

What I want is a local.conf or localrc that will cause DevStack to do a
single-node install of OpenStack with Neutron (I am not picky about plugin
or driver) on a host with one NIC, with the following property.  When I
use that OpenStack to create a VM, and assign a floating IP to that VM, IP
communication between that VM and machines in the wider world is possible.
 By "the wider world" I mean the part of the internet with which the host
can communicate, whatever that may be.  For example, if the host is a
machine on the public internet, the wider world would be everything
reachable on the public internet.  Another example was in my original
question: the host is a lab machine on a 10... network (it has more than
one subnet, connected by real layer 3 routers), and the wider world in
that case is all the other machines in that lab.

As best I can tell, this requires some correspondence between (a) the
settings of FLOATING_RANGE and PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY that I put in
localrc and (b) the pre-DevStack IP address, netmask, and gateway of the
host.  Perhaps I am confused about something critical here.  I do not
understand why nobody talks about this.  Is it because everybody is using
the same Vagrant/VBox script and that happens to correspond with the
DevStack defaults?

Thanks,
Mike