[Openstack] How to make DevStack install OpenStack with Neutron?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 6 20:45:59 UTC 2014

Is it possible to use DevStack to install OpenStack, including Neutron, so
that OpenStack can make a VM that can communicate with the world beyond
OpenStack?  I am looking for a simple localrc or local.conf that will do
this.

Let us take a concrete example.  Suppose I have a machine with one NIC, at
10.84.133.238/28.  It has a simple routing table: one entry for the local
subnet, one default route through a gateway at 10.84.133.225.  I have
nothing else on the 10.84.133.238/28 subnet, I can use the other addresses
(aside from .224 and .239) for VMs. What do I put in my localrc?  Do I
have to fix up anything after stack.sh completes?

Once I have a working OpenStack, the remaining questions are about how to
use it to create a VM with the desired ability.  That would be as the demo
user, in the demo tenant, right?  I would need a security group that
allows the desired communication, of course.  Create the VM on the private
net, give it a floating IP on the public network.  Any tricks missed here?

Does it matter whether my machine at 10.84.133.238 is a bare metal machine
or a VM in some undercloud?

Does it matter whether my machine has multiple ethN interfaces that have
been bonded to make the interface (named bond0) in use?

Thanks,
Mike