[Openstack] State of virtualised GPU use in instances?

Jake Carroll zebra.x0r at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 10:49:33 UTC 2014

Hi.

I¹m interested in accelerated high throughput microscopy workloads involving
deconvolution using stream processors via CUDA interfaces to GPU¹s.

Last I checked, things were not going all that well in terms of GPU inside
instances:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/32803/

I got the impression that the direction being pushed was that a more
cohesive or heterogenous use of SRIOV for all PCI based devices was being
considered instead, as opposed to just GPU.

Could someone give me a brief explanation as to where we sit with
virtualised GPU inside instances? For sake of argument, it could be a Xen or
a KVM guest. Whatever. Either way.

Thank you.

-z