[Openstack] Getting started with OpenStack

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 18:05:04 UTC 2014

On 10:39 Tue 30 Sep     , Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> Hi Saloni
>
> On 09/30/2014 09:12 AM, Saloni Baweja wrote:
> > I am an aspirant for OPW and did find projects like Wikimedia,
> > Evergreen interesting and have bit more inclination towards OpenStack.
> > But I have no idea about cloud storage, their working etc and am just
> > a beginner. It would be great if I get guidance about how to start
> > understanding what exactly OpenStack is.
>
> The first thing to acknowledge is that OpenStack is a very complex
> project dealing in a very complex domain. Nobody really gets a high
> degree of familiarity with OpenStack as a whole immediately. You may
> want to start from the high level descriptions of the wider OpenStack on
>
> http://www.openstack.org/software/
>
> and then move down one of its components to dive deeper. Depending on
> your interests and your skills, you may want to avoid looking at the
> projects with highest complexity (skip Nova and Neutron, for example).
>
> Make sure to join the IRC channel #openstack-opw on freenode.net to chat
> with other (ex)participants to OPW and mentors.

Hi Saloni,

Welcome to the community! Once you have spent some time studying things at
a high level, I would recommend looking over our documentation [1] put together
for OPW participants on some introductions to OpenStack and where to further
learn more about the project. Also listed are the mentors that should be
available on the IRC channel Stefano mentioned, #openstack-opw on freenode.net.

[1] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen

--
Mike Perez