[Openstack] Need help to remove devstack and all related files completely

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Nov 26 09:07:17 UTC 2014

On 26/11/14 20:52, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 07:17:38AM +0000, Hanan Liaqat wrote:
>> How to completely delete the devstack files so that i can clone devstack and
>> renew the devstaxck installation free of previous misconfigurations
>
> If you want a completely fresh install of everything.
>
> 1) reboot the system
> 2) clone devstack again into a new directory
> 3) setup your local.conf as you need
> 4) Add RECLONE to your local.conf:
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/configuration.html#a-clean-install-every-time
> 5) run stack.sh
>
> That will give you a fresh install.

I've encountered situations where even that is not quite enough, as
packages and locally installed python bits are left lying around. I
usually do:

$ cd devstack
$ ./unstack.sh
$ ./clean.sh
$ cp local.conf ../scripts # save it somewhere if I'm happy with it
$ cd ..
$ rm -rf devstack
$ sudo rm -rf /opt/stack

If I'm wanting to clone and then switch to a different branch from what
I've just been using then I've occasionally had to nuke the various
libraries etc added under /usr/local (obviously this assumes the vm/box
is used purely for devstack thus nothing in here is vital to keep):

$ cd /usr/local
$ sudo rm -rf lib/python2.7/dist-packages/* site_ruby/* bin/*

Finally reboot to be sure ;-)

$ sudo reboot

...and all ready to cloen and start stacking again!

Regards

Mark