[Openstack] [Ironic] Not able to deploy images using Ironic devstack setup

Peeyush Gupta gpeeyush at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Nov 19 10:44:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have been trying to deploy a physical node using Ironic devstack
setup. The Ironic server is running on a VM, that has two interfaces,
one public and one private. Now Ironic is running on private network and
my physical node is also connected to private network. I am able to add
the node and validate it. The node successfully connects to the Ironic
and DHCP server, I am able to get the ip and pings are going all the way.

When I am trying to boot the image, I get the following error:

[   59.231810] sd 5:2:1:0: [sdf] Attached SCSI disk
[   59.261786] sd 5:2:2:0: [sdg] Attached SCSI disk
[   59.301778] sd 5:2:3:0: [sdh] Attached SCSI disk
Error getting IP address for eth0 with MAC
Troubleshooting required, press t to launch shell...........
route: fscanf
obtained the following from dhcp:
 ip address =
 netmask =
 gateway =
network ready
start iSCSI target on /dev/sda
waiting for tgtd socket...not found
waiting for tgtd socket...found
BusyBox v1.19.4 (2014-07-23 21:28:14 UTC) multi-call binary.

Usage: tftp [OPTIONS] HOST [PORT]

Transfer a file from/to tftp server

    -l FILE    Local FILE
    -r FILE    Remote FILE
    -g    Get file
    -p    Put file
    -b SIZE    Transfer blocks of SIZE octets

tftp: invalid option -- 'c'
BusyBox v1.19.4 (2014-07-23 21:28:14 UTC) multi-call binary.

Usage: tftp [OPTIONS] HOST [PORT]

Transfer a file from/to tftp server

    -l FILE    Local FILE
    -r FILE    Remote FILE
    -g    Get file
    -p    Put file
    -b SIZE    Transfer blocks of SIZE octets

request Ironic API to deploy image
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 10.0.1.248: Network is unreachable
waiting for notice of complete

Now, my physical node has 15 ethernet ports and my private n/w cable is
connected on eth15 and that's the port that has been provided to Ironic
server. So, before the booting if I check the shell, eth15 is up and
gets the 10.0.1.xxx ip, but at the booting time that's not happening.

I am not able to understand why is it trying to get info about eth0
while it is not even connected. Please help me out to resolve this.

Peeyush Gupta
gpeeyush at linux.vnet.ibm.com