[Openstack] Legacy Application Run on top of OpenStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:56:17 UTC 2014

On 05/29/2014 05:12 AM, hossein zabolzadeh wrote:
> Hi there.
> I am baffling between Cloudstack and Openstack to select. My Datacenter
> has more than 10 legacy application, which need to be run on top of the
> best matched CMP(Cloud Management Platform). I am search a lot and I
> select openStack and CloudStack at the end. But, I can not make a final
> decision about these two CMPs. I don't want to make any change to my
> legacy application codebase. So, my exact concern is: "How legacy
> applications can be run on OpenStack without any HA and resiliancy
> problems?" As we know cloud-ready applications are fully awared from
> underlying infrastucture, but what about non-cloud-ready apps(Legacy
> Applications)?
> CloudStack is DC virtualization cloud solution(Vcloud Like Cloud
> Solution) that handle all of the HA and resiliancy in the infrastructure
> layer, but the paradigm in openStack is infrastructure provisioning(AWS
> like cloud), which the HA problems shoud be addressed in application layer.
> So at general, how openStack support legacy applications to run without
> any HA problems?
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Hossein,

The short answer is that the idea behind "legacy" applications -- i.e.
that applications should rely on infrastructure to handle reliability of
the application in a scale-up-only manner -- is not something that the
OpenStack platform really encourages.

We encourage scale-out behaviour and application development
methodologies that give the scaling, reliability, and resiliency control
to the application deployer to implement as they see fits best their
application. It's not a one-size-fits-all world, and as such, there are
plenty of application architectures and deployment methodologies that
are supported in cloudy environments; OpenStack doesn't pick or choose
one over another.

Best,
-jay