[Openstack] [Swift] Getting better performance by disabling container DB updates?

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at maginatics.com
Thu Mar 20 06:09:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

I recently came across an object store that could disable container
listing and thereby give better performance. By disable, it meant that
a call to list the entries in a container would simply return an empty
status code of 200 without any object names.

I guess this is possible only if the entire object store is considered
to as a single namespace. When objects are put into the object store,
the DB keeping track of objects in a container isn't
populated/updated. Not updating this DB helps drive better
performance. I haven't been able to get details about how they achieve
this.

Is something like this viable for Swift?

-Shri