[Openstack] query about Statsd

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Mar 10 17:32:58 UTC 2014

Have you referred to this document?
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/ch_introduction-to-openstack-object-storage-monitoring.html

Answers below based on that circa-April-2013 document, might need updates.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:36 AM, pragya jain <prag_2648 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I have some questions about Statsd server for openstack swift
>
> Q1:  Is swift-informant middleware necessary to be included in
> proxy-server.conf in order to provide metrics to StatsD server?

yes, swift-informant sits in the proxy server's pipeline and after each
request to the proxy server, sends three metrics to a
StatsD<http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2011/02/15/measure-anything-measure-everything/>
 server

>  Q2: what type of metrics does swift-informant middleware provide to
> StatsD server?

   -

   A counter increment for a metric like obj.GET.200 or cont.PUT.404.
   -

   Timing data for a metric like acct.GET.200 or obj.GET.200. [The README
   says the metrics will look likeduration.acct.GET.200, but I don't see
   the "duration" in the code. I'm not sure what Etsy's server does, but our
   StatsD server turns timing metrics into 5 derivative metrics with new
   segments appended, so it probably works as coded. The first metric above
   would turn into acct.GET.200.lower, acct.GET.200.upper, acct.GET.200.mean
   ,acct.GET.200.upper_90, and acct.GET.200.count]
   -

   A counter increase by the bytes transferred for a metric like
   tfer.obj.PUT.201.

> Q3:  What is StatsDlog? Is it a middleware or a daemon or something other?
> And, What type of metrics does it provide to StatsD server?

statsdlog can track events from all Object Storage daemons, not just
proxy-server