[Openstack] [openstack] [neutron] how to config one l3 agent for each l3 router?

sylecn sylecn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 03:00:29 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have get this working this morning. The settings have no problem, but I
didn't get the order right on first try.

Here is the correct order:
1. create network resources, but do not connect them to router yet.
   create ext-net, net1/subnet1, net2/subnet2
2. create router1
3. config router_id in l3-agent1, restart l3-agent1
5. create router2
6. config router_id in l3-agent2, restart l3-agent2
7. add ports to the router, namely:
   run router-interface-add and router-gateway-set for router1;
   run router-interface-add and router-gateway-set for router2.

The key point is do not add any port to router until you have set router_id
in all l3-agents and restart them.

On first try, I have run router-gateway-set too early for router2.

Thanks Ageeleshwar, Gustavo for your advices.

To Gustavo: I set different router_id in different l3_agent.ini, that's the
whole point of this setup.

To Ageeleshwar: I am aware of that setup. Note however, in my setup, two
routers share the ext-net, they just use different l3-agent to do NAT. This
is a little different from using two ext-nets and two router. Because
neutron could not infer which l3-agent to use by the ext-net id when you do
router-gateway-set. I have tried two ext-net with two router setup before,
it works as expected. So that information should be helpful for others.
Make sure in gateway_external_network_id config, you should use uuid
instead of ext-net name though.

*YY Inc. is hiring openstack and python developers. Interested? Check
http://www.nsbeta.info/jobs <http://www.nsbeta.info/jobs>*

Yuanle