[Openstack] Mixing and matching Provider networks and Tenant networks

Michael Gale gale.michael at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 22:28:03 UTC 2014

Hello,

    Does anyone have any experience mixing and matching Provider network
installations with Tenant network installations all using VLANs?

Assuming:

- Icehouse release

- VLAN instead of GRE

For a large internal cloud we planed to use a Provider network VLAN for
almost all VM's. This is so each developer instance will be available on
our internal LAN without the need to assign a floating IP address.

However there will be cases where we want a project to use an internal
private subnet / vlan and assign a floating IP address to get outside of
the project.

I am assuming it would be easy to create a separate public subnet in
OpenStack that is shared and the odd private case could get a floating IP
address from there.

VM1 on the Provider network could talk to the VM2 on the internal subnet
via the Shared floating IP assigned to the VM2.

Does that make sense?

Details:

Provider network: 172.16.0.0/16

Project B using Provider network

Shared Ext network: 172.17.0.0/16

Project A internal: 192.168.1.0/24

VM1 is in Project B and on the Provider network, VM2 is in Project A on the
internal network with a floating IP address from Shared Ext network.

Thanks

Michael