[Openstack] upgrade from Havana to IceHouse Table 'keystone.assignment' doesn't exist

Felix Lee zaknafein.lee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 21:04:18 UTC 2014

Hi, Anatoly,
I am not sure if you solved this problem already, but I suffered the
similar problem as yours when I upgraded openstack from havana to
icehouse today.

There were two problems I suffered, and both related to msyql table
character set.

Simply check, if you run: keystone-manage db_version, and the version
stays at 37, you probably failed at db_sync as I did.

In my case, while I did keystone-manage db_sync, there was an error in
/var/log/keystone/keystone.log:
2014-06-09 21:23:12.732 53481 CRITICAL keystone [-] ValueError: Tables
"region" have non utf8 collation, please make sure all tables are
CHARSET=utf8

So, the workaround was to go to mysql and change the CHARSET to utf8 for
table: "region", for example, run following sql command in mysql:

  use keystone ;
  alter table region CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

And, the second problem was actually a bug of db_migration script which
was already reported and fixed, but, unfortunately, it is not yet
available in rdo release, so, you will have to apply patch by hand,
please see detail:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/keystone/commit/?id=4408625031bc9804fa4bd4a72988bf31375b7787

I hope this can be helpful, if you have not yet solved this problem.

Best regards,
Felix Lee ~