[Openstack] Ceph vs swift

Matthew Farrellee matt at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 18:19:52 UTC 2014

On 06/02/2014 02:52 PM, Chuck Thier wrote:

> I have heard that there has been some work to integrate Hadoop with
> Swift, but know very little about it.  Integration with MS exchange, but
> could be an interesting use case.

nutshell: the hadoop ecosystem tends to integrate with mapreduce or
hdfs. hdfs is the hadoop implementation of a distributed file system
interface. there are a handful of others -
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HCFS - including one for swift. so where
you might access a file in via hdfs:///... you can also swift:///... for
processing by mapreduce or other frameworks in hadoop.

best,

matt