[Openstack] Deploying to a specific host using scheduler_hints

Joe D'Andrea jdandrea at research.att.com
Wed Jul 23 22:03:35 UTC 2014

On Jul 23, 2014, at 4:34 PM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Did you know that you can specify the host to use by abusing the parameter named "availability_zone" ...

I sure do! That's partially what led me to looking at scheduler hints (more below).

There were two issues, actually.

1. At first, I could not prove that it was actually working ... but then I figured it out:

outputs:
  host:
    value: {get_attr: [my_server, show, 'OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:host']}

2. After some discussion elsewhere, it was suggested that a scheduler hint might be a better option.

More importantly, it may also be the case (again, for my particular situation) that the Heat template author/generator is blind to the notion of availability zones. It only knows about hosts. Thus, I don't want to depend on az:host notation if I can help it.

When I learned that I can set up single-host Host Aggregates with metadata of the form host=myhost, I started following that path ... and here I am!

jd