[Openstack] Ceph vs Swift + Cinder

Michael Gale gale.michael at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 05:41:48 UTC 2014

Hey,

    I agree with Hugo, it really depends on your use case / requirements.

Why are you considering object storage, what functionality and features do
you need. What is the expectation around block storage? Once you know those
it will help you decide which technology is best for you.

Michael

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Kuo Hugo <tonytkdk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Frans,
>
> Here's my perspective.
>
> There's some tradeoff between different choices. First of all, you should
> know your use case clearly before make decision. There's several combo :
>

>    - OpenStack Swift as object storage core + Cinder as the the block
>    storage controller with various backends
>    - OpenStack Swift as object storage core + Ceph RBD interface as the
>    block storage
>    - Rados storage pools as the backend for Swift/S3 APIs(Ceph RadosGW)
>    and Ceph RBD
>

> If you would like to have full benefits of OpenStack Swift, you should
> take OpenStack Swift as the object storage core. You can have 100% features
> of Swift and a built-in http request handler.
> If you'd like to store everything on a unified storage infrastructure, you
> can go Ceph. But you'll lose part of feature of Swift.
> Regarding to the Cinder or Ceph. Well, Cinder allows you to use different
> backend. It depends on the cost, use case, reliability etc.
>

> It might be good to hear the use cases there.
>
> Hope it help
> Hugo

> Hi all
>>
>> just discussion regarding ceph as platform for swift and cinder, and
>> also a replacement.
>>
>> i still want to know, how ceph stand
>>
>> because we can run swift and cinder also without ceph
>>
>> and why should ceph as both platform,

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the
ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now
qualified to do anything with nothing.”

― Konstantin Josef Jireček
<https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4666841.Konstantin_Josef_Jire_ek>