[Openstack] [Swift] Running out of ports or fds?

Blinick, Stephen L stephen.l.blinick at intel.com
Mon Jul 14 23:55:44 UTC 2014

Hey Pete,  we were thinking specifically about ports usage at the storage nodes.  For every incoming object there's an outgoing TCP connection for the container update.  If the workload is somewhat bursty, and if object creation activity has container temporal locality, then batching increases the likelihood that multiple requests would get queued up for a single container server and then could be sent at once (using some kind of hold time mechanism to batch them up).

I suppose one consideration though is hardening the operations as they're being batched.  I realized right now If they're in the async file on the storage node or in the pending file at the container server, they're effectively power cycle safe.

Thanks,

Stephen