[Openstack] Some doubts regarding the interaction among the ovs-plugin and ovs-agent

Ramana Reddy gtvrreddy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:11:23 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I would like to know the interaction among the OVS-agent at
Hypervisor/Compute node
and OVS-agent at network node and OVS-plugin at neutron server.

I need the following details:

1. Normally when we boot the VM, VM gets a virtual port from OVS to its
virtual interface.
    How its different in openstack. Who will configure the IP address and
other tunnlling
    mechanisms to the VM. How they effect the ovs-agent in network node and
OVS-plugin
    in the compute node.
2. When we create a virtual network through API, what happens to OVS-plugin
and
    to the OVS-agents. Who updates the database and when it updates.
3. What is the typical sequence of of events from booting to the VM and
creating a virtual network and sending packet among the VMs. Who initiates
first.

Thanks,
Ramana.