[Openstack] Problem booting instance from converted RAW image

Shital Patil shital.patil at gslab.com
Sat Jul 12 05:58:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have a CentOS RAW  image converted from vmdk with qemu-img, when I upload
image through glance client the instance shows kernel panic as it does not
get proper disk bus drivers to boot (screenshot attached). When I upload
the same image setting *--property hw_disk_bus=ide* image boots properly
without kernel panic but in subsequent reboot it again goes in kernel
panic.I have checked libvirt.xml of this instance and found that disk bus
is set to virtio again. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I have read about the way to rebuild initrd but could not get much on how
to achieve this, it would be great help if you provide some simple steps to
do it.

Thank you