[Openstack] Replication count..

Shyam Prasad N nspmangalore at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 09:45:08 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have a swift setup with 2 disks each on 2 nodes. The swift rings have
been setup with replication count of 2, with each node with unique zone id.
After creation of a few objects, I pulled out one of the disks from node1.
After some more object creations, I pulled out the remaining swift disk on
node1. Now, my GETs are successful. But PUT requests are failing with
"Service Unavailable" error.

I'm confused with this behaviour. I thought swift tries to PUT replicas for
an object into different zones on a best effort basis. Right now, there are
still two disks active on the other zone. Shouldn't it put both the
replicas on the available disks now, rather than returning the above error?
Or is my understanding about this wrong?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

--
-Shyam