[Openstack] Nova test case failures

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Jul 3 17:45:45 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Green, Paul's message of 2014-07-03 09:51:52 -0700:
> I just ran the Icehouse Nova self-tests under Devstack under VirtualBox, and found that 75 of them failed. Is there a list anywhere of the known failing tests, or should all of them have passed? Or am I doing something dumb?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) and the current copy of devstack.
>
> I started the tests as follows:
>                 cd devstack
>      ./stack.sh
>      cd /opt/stack/nova
>      ./run_tests.sh -V

Note that 'tox' is the way the gate runs tests, so you might try that.
But I'm not a nova person, so maybe run_tests.sh still has magic for
developers.

AFAIK, these are the unit tests, so you don't need to './stack.sh' to
get those to pass.. you just need to git clone nova, pip install tox,
and run 'tox' in the root of the git tree. That should produce working
nova unit tests.

Also, if you're going to be doing development (which is what those
particular tests are usually used for) you may want to post to
openstack-dev. If you want functional/integration tests, you probably
want to run the tempest tests (/opt/stack/tempest) and not the nova
tests.