[Openstack] [Neutron] asymetric DHCP brokenness on tenant GRE networks

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Wed Jan 29 18:49:28 UTC 2014

> however I can't tcpdump on the patch or gre devices....
>
> # tcpdump -i patch-tun
> tcpdump: patch-tun: No such device exists

I can reproduce this. I suspect because patch-tun and patch-int are OVS
patch interfaces, they are internal to OVS and not a real interface. "ip a
| grep patch-tun" returns no results, so that supports that theory.

> is there a way to do this?  Right now I can only see what's happening
>  at the beginning (tap) and end (ethN)

tcpdump on br-tun shows no traffic for me. If I run tcpdump on the
interface that hosts the IP of the tunnel endpoint, then I do see GRE
packets:

tcpdump -i eth0 proto gre

But you're not seeing any traffic there, so the packet isn't making it that
far...

How about "brctl show"? There should be a bridge called qbrXXX that bridges
the tap interface to a qvb interface. The qvb interface is a veth pair to a
qvo interface on OVS. If you can't see packets between qbr, qvb, or qvo,
then I'd imagine the problem is somewhere with the linux standard bridging.

Joe