[Openstack] [Neutron] asymetric DHCP brokenness on tenant GRE networks

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Wed Jan 29 15:21:43 UTC 2014

HI All,

DHCP requests from instances with interfaces on OVS/GRE based tenant
networks are showing up on the tap device on the compute node but
never make it to the physical network device (tcpdump -i ehtX proto
gre).

If I manually configure an address all seems well & I can for example
ping from the qdhcp namespace on the network note to the instance.
This suggests to me that all the OVS plumbing is properly in place.

My next suspicion is iptables, which look OK to me as well, or at
least look like they do for the VLAN based provider networks that have
functioning DHCP (note 10.0.1.100 is the dhcp-agent's address on this
network):

Chain neutron-openvswi-o78facbbc-b (2 references)
RETURN     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp
spt:bootpc dpt:bootps
neutron-openvswi-s78facbbc-b  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp
spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
neutron-openvswi-sg-fallback  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
root at nova-50:~# iptables -L  neutron-openvswi-i78facbbc-b
Chain neutron-openvswi-i78facbbc-b (1 references)
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
RETURN     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp
multiport dports 1:65535
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp
multiport dports tcpmux:65535
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ssh
RETURN     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
RETURN     udp  --  10.0.1.100           anywhere             udp
spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
neutron-openvswi-sg-fallback  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Anyone see what I'm missing or have a suggestion on where I should look next?