[Openstack] Openstack docs bug (Re: Havana / Enable migration)

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 24 16:11:16 UTC 2014

On 1/24/2014 3:25 AM, Sascha Vogt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a multi node setup and wanted to play with migration. Currently
> I'm getting strange SSH errors. I followed the
> http://docs.openstack.org/havana/install-guide/install/apt/content/ guide.
>
> The first error was a host key verification error.

This bit is completely missing from the install guide: nova user must be
able to ssh to other nodes. There's no mention whether it must be every
node to every node, controller to every compute node, or what.

> It might be related to Ubuntu giving the nova (and all other users)
> /bin/false als login shell.

RedHat (RDO) uses /sbin/nologin instead. So you can't 'su - nova' and
genrate keys & test ssh without editing /etc/passwd. I expect nSALinux
would complain if you do that -- if you didn't disable it first thing
after install.

(Of course if you could 'su - nova' you'd be in the right home directory.)

Dima