[Openstack] [swift] Is anyone using cloudfuse successfully?

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Thu Jan 23 07:28:05 UTC 2014

A group I'm working with recently finished some basic cloudfuse testing and
in the end, we weren't 100% comfortable with using it in production. The
core reason for this is cloudfuse writing files to /tmp before they get
moved to Swift. We played with a few variations of /tmp including using a
ramdisk for /tmp, but we were unable to find a way where the IO of /tmp or
the limited memory of a ramdisk /tmp would not be a bottleneck for the
traffic we were aiming for.

 > Also have you looked the gluster-swift project to see what they are
> doing?
>
> I have not.  I wasn't aware that they included a client or fusedriver
> like this.  I'll look into it.

For reference, gluster-swift can be read about here:

https://github.com/gluster/gluster-swift/blob/havana/doc/markdown/quick_start_guide.md

It allows Swift to use GlusterFS as a backing store. Swift is still
accessed via HTTP, which is the opposite cloudfuse's goal.